A traditional French soup that is served cold in the summer but tastes equally as delicious in the winter served hot with the addition of some chilli sherry! Chef and cookery school owner Flora Gordon Clark shares with us her take on this summer classic…
- 1 medium onion
- 250g leeks
- 250g potatoes
- 50g butter
- 1 litre chicken stock or vegetable stock (a veg stock cube is ok)
- Bouquet garni (sprig of thyme, 2 bay leaf, 10 parsley stalks, 20 whole peppercorns)
- 250ml milk
- 200ml single cream
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vermouth
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice and clean the leeks and rinse in a colander.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Melt the butter over a low to medium heat in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add the leeks and the onion and cover the pan with a lid and cook over a low to medium heat taking care not to brown them. Cooking over a low heat with a lid on is called “sweating”.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into even sized pieces.
- Once the leeks have softened (10-15 minutes) add the potatoes and the stock.
- Tie the bouquet garni ingredients up in a piece of muslin.
- Add the bouquet garni and season with a little sea salt. You will need less if you have used a stock cube.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and falling apart.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Puree using a blender. Take care to hold the lid down using a tea towel so as to avoid any volcanic-like eruptions.
- Return the soup to the pan and add the cream and the milk.
- Bring back to a simmer stirring all the while and then remove from the heat.
- Check for seasoning.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate.
- When ready to serve stir in the vermouth and check for seasoning once again.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over the chopped chives.
If you’re wondering what to do with the kids this summer holidays then why not try one of Flora’s fabulous cookery courses! There are still limited places available for the following:
- Teen Cooking on 25th July
- Junior Cooking on 7th August
For more info contact Flora here
Find more delicious recipes to keep the family happy here