Schools’ own Entrance Examination
“We create an environment in which your daughter’s confidence can grow, and where she can thrive. We achieve this by treating her as an individual, through positive encouragement, through integrity and by seeking to ensure that she is happy at school.”
The inside track from a current parent
I have two daughters at the School:
- one in Year 11 who has been through the Prep and Senior School and is staying for 6th Form
- one in Year 13 who was at the Prep School, went to another local girls’ school for secondary but has returned to St Catherine’s for 6th Form.
We liked the idea of it being a boarding school, even though they are day girls, and we also liked that there was a Prep and Senior School, both individual but benefiting from each other’s presence.
We saw the girls on our visits, untainted by make-up and fake tans, bursting with enthusiasm – natural, unaffected, bright girls.
The location, grounds and facilities are really impressive. Situated close to Guildford, 35 mins to London, but surrounded by beautiful countryside – it’s been a great place for my children to grow up.
Both daughters have grown into confident girls with a strong sense that they have been extremely lucky to have been to this school, and all it has given them. The girls here don’t seem to take it all for granted.
Having had a daughter at another school where she was very happy for five years, I feel I am in a position to say that the quality of teaching, management and pastoral care is immeasurably superior at St Catherine’s.
As parents we love...
- Impressive and approachable tutors, teachers, Heads of House and Headmistress – quick feedback and help whenever needed.
- A strong Association – the community of parents, alumnae and staff. Definitely a sense of belonging, and that you are a member for life.
- All girls can play in a team – I think it was the only school to field a 5th Team in the Lacrosse Nationals this year. So many other schools would cull the bottom team but St Cats keep them all playing for a team if they want to. As parents of a non-sporty girl, this really has been fantastic for her self-esteem.
As pupils we love...
- I asked my daughters and they said (after much discussion)…The strong House system. There are loads of inter-house competitions from drama to music and sport, so you all get to have a go at everything however good/bad you are at them. They build a strong bond to their House but know everyone in their year through different teaching groups, clubs and teams.
- The sixth form have their own building in the school, their own privileges and a different tutor system. It still feels like St Catherine’s but they are treated more like adults. Boarders and Day girls all mix together.
- The food!!
What makes us different
Regularly topping the Surrey League table for A Level points, number 4 in the Sunday Times Parent Power Destinations of Leavers table and comfortably inside the top 10 girls’ boarding school for A Level results according to Best Schools, St Catherine’s, Bramley offers an unforgettable education for every girl.
Art, Drama, Music and Sport flourish, enjoying outstanding on-site facilities including a Sports Hall, indoor pool, impressive auditorium and extensive grounds. Extra-curricular opportunities abound; with so many clubs and activities girls are never bored. The highly successful House system ensures a friendly and supportive environment where every girl is known and feels valued.
Four boarding houses offer a vibrant and friendly community of girls from 11-18, cared for by boarding housemistresses who are not only experts in pastoral care, but are also academic staff who understand the importance of a achieving a healthy balance of ‘work, rest and play’. Spring 2021 saw the opening of The 6 – our brand new Sixth Form boarding house. Our location is perfect for London families looking for weekly boarding and our convenient proximity to Heathrow and Gatwick is always popular too with overseas boarding families.
We are committed to helping St Catherine’s alumnae in their career development and every year we support many of them by making connections to other alumnae and parents working across a plethora of professions. The St Catherine’s Association comprising thousands of alumnae, parents, and friends of the School gives the girls access to invaluable careers advice and opportunities for work experience.