Via Common Entrance or Shrewsbury School examinations. Pupils are able to apply for scholarships and bursaries.
“Serious fun. We aim to instil values that guide a person through life; love of learning that lights fires in their minds; skills and aptitudes that equip them for the world of work; friendships that radiate through a lifetime; and the willingness to embrace a world of change with an open mind and a generous heart.”
The inside track from a current parent
We chose Shrewsbury because of the quality of education, opportunities and facilities it offered our daughter. Of particular note were the music and sports facilities, specialist departments such as CDT and art, and the attractive, roomy girls’ boarding houses.
Shrewsbury is special because it seems to manage to get the very best out of its pupils without being a pressure cooker. There is expectation and great success including many Oxbridge and Russell Group entrants and national sporting awards
Shrewsbury has helped shape my daughter into a young woman who is self-reliant, inquisitive and ambitious with strong organisational skills and a practical outlook. She adores her time at Shrewsbury and will be very sad to leave.
As parents we love...
- Shrewsbury’s slightly quirky character which revels in individuality both in its students and its staff!
- Many schools talk about educating the whole child – Shrewsbury actually does this.
- We ADORE the music. Shrewsbury is blessed with a remarkable music department headed up by the most remarkable music director.
As pupils we love...
- The traditions – they give us a sense of identity and freedom to have some fun.
- The house system – again provide a sense of identity and friendly rivalry.
- The teachers – they are inspiring.
What makes us different
Shrewsbury School provides an outstanding educational experience on a beautiful 110 acre campus in the heart of Shropshire. Pupils achieve high academic standards and enjoy an extraordinary variety of extra-curricular activities, alongside personal pastoral support.
Recent awards include:
- Best Schools Awards 2018 – Top 10 UK Co-educational Boarding School, based on A Level results.
- Independent School of the Year Awards 2018 – Highly Commended for the Performing Arts.
- IAAF Heritage Award presented to the School on the eve of the World Cross-Country Championships 2019 by Lord Coe, in recognition of the school’s role as the birthplace of cross-country running.