What happens outside the classroom at Maidwell Hall is as important as what happens inside it; holistic education at its very best. We are always proud to hear that children from Maidwell Hall are thought of as polite, happy and articulate whilst our excellent academic record speaks for itself. From the Pre-Prep to Common Entrance our children thrive in the woods and fields that make up our extensive grounds.
The inside track from a current parent
There are many reasons we chose Maidwell Hall but essentially for its ethos, it’s size, the idyllic grounds and it’s first class all-round education. It felt like a really happy place where every child could flourish. Uniquely set in spectacular grounds with lots of space to roam and play, allows them to stay children for longer. I genuinely feel that my children are incredibly lucky to be there and have this amazing experience. Our children flourish and are passionate about so much of their school life – the sport, the teachers and the great friends they have made.
What you might not glean from the brochure is that with a sprinkling of Maidwell magic, the school turns out lovely children who are self-assured, well mannered and well prepared for their next school.
Strong academically too with no hint of hot-housing. Superb staff, who really inspire their pupils in their subjects and who get the very best out of them. The children adore Mr Lankester senior and his history lessons. A school with fun happy traditions such as pancake races on Pancake Day, the huge bonfire on Bonfire Night, singing carols around the Christmas tree, decorating the tree, wet sponge throwing at the Leavers, House Convoy and annual events such as the Poetry Competition and the whole school Drama production, the quality of which are so impressive. And it’s totally true, the food is very, very good indeed and that’s quite unique these days!
As parents we love...
- I love the fact that whenever I drive into school everyone just looks incredibly happy, there’s a buzz about the place and the children are busy embracing all the school has to offer. They therefore thrive in this environment.
- The children are free from the pressures of technology and can just be children mucking about, climbing trees, building dens or whatever it is they love doing. Much of their free time is centred around being outside.
- The pastoral care is excellent. Due to the school’s size it feels like one big family and the teachers really get to know your children. Each child has a weekly get together with a tutor who mentors them their whole time at Maidwell.
As pupils we love...
- “All the Sport and Activities, Drama and BB 123″ (whole school playing a form of British Bulldog)
- ”Definitely the food, it’s really good especially the puddings like Teachers Torture. Jez the cook is really good. It’s great when friends have a birthday and you get to sit on the Birthday table.”
- ”And the boarding as it’s really fun particularly the weekends. We get to do lots of fun stuff and muckabout and put together singalongs”
What makes us different
Maidwell Hall is a boarding and day school for boys and girls aged 4-13. Set in the midst of the most beautiful Northamptonshire countryside, it is a truly charmed place for children to spend five years of their childhood.
We are always pleased to hear that children from Maidwell Hall are thought of as polite, happy and articulate, as we are very aware of the vital importance of these formative years in the life of a child and take our responsibilities seriously. First and foremost we want each child’s experience of Maidwell Hall to be a thoroughly happy, enjoyable and fulfilling one.
Pupils are prepared for Common Entrance and Scholarship to our destination public schools. Typically, we feed to Eton, Harrow, Oundle, Radley, Rugby, Shrewsbury, Stowe, Tudor Hall and Uppingham.
The children enjoy a great sense of freedom in our extensive grounds and are encouraged to climb trees and build dens with their friends, and while we have grown in recent years, we have sought to remain small enough to maintain the highly personalised approach that we consider to be so essential.
A country house atmosphere prevails within the main 17th Century building, where the homely environment is a wonderful place for our children to flourish and discover their talents. We are proud of our excellent academic record and we encourage all our children to develop to the full and become interested in a wide range of different hobbies and activities. Equally, we aim to encourage the development of spiritual and moral values and the Christian foundation of the school underpins all that we do.