Non-selective, school’s own admissions tests
“As Headmaster, I am personally committed to the Christian ethos of Kingham Hill, and I feel very privileged to lead a school with such a rich past and exciting future. We pride ourselves on our commitment to the individual. Every pupil is valued and encouraged to develop their own character to the full.”
The inside track from a current parent
We chose Kingham Hill School because we knew it would suit our daughter perfectly – the beautiful outside space, the wonderful opportunities available both academically and extra curricular, the sport, music and arts on offer and most importantly the way that Mr Seward and the teachers spoke so passionately about the school and what they do; this all shone through.
It was clear very quickly at the open morning that their love of learning was contagious and our daughter was not only going to have a wonderful time at Kingham but also be given the opportunity to excel and be encouraged to be ‘intellectually curious’ (as Mr Seward puts it). To top it off, we were impressed by the academic results too.
Kingham Hill is a wonderful place to learn. My daughter’s day is not like a normal day at school and we are proud to have been able to give her this wonderful opportunity. The academic lessons are engaging and she is pushed and supported where she needs to be. Her love of learning has grown and the level of discipline and encouragement to be independent has turned her into a strong, confident, determined and organised individual. She has also learnt that hard work and perseverance pays off and is rewarded. Self belief is hugely important at Kingham Hill School and there really is no limit as to what a pupil can achieve.
In Year 7, every pupil takes up a new instrument and lessons are included for the next two years for free, this includes joining various orchestras etc. Mr Seward, the Head, is passionate about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) and boys and girls alike are inspired by this, including having the opportunity to be involved with designing, building and racing Karts at various tracks around the country.
Class sizes are ideal (circa 15 per class and just over 30 per year) and my daughter has made friendships that will last a lifetime. Kingham Hill also has excellent pastoral care; communication with teachers, tutors and house parents is easy and responses to concerns are immediate. The food is delicious and for a daughter like ours who loves to be busy and engaged every second of the day, it is perfect!
To top it off, for those that are ‘intellectually curious’ there is the Octagon Society, which accepts up to eight pupils per year group following an engaging selection process (letter, interview, quiz). This has really enriched and challenged our daughter’s learning in her first year at Kingham Hill and is something to be really proud of. We hope she keeps her place in this society throughout her Kingham Hill school life. We enjoyed the annual Octagon Dinner with her in March and were honoured to be invited.
This is really just a taster of Kingham Hill School life. Every morning when I drive her into school I feel excited for the day that she has ahead. There is certainly no dragging her out of bed for school, even on swimming training mornings when she has to be in the pool for 6.40am! She really does love her every day there and she is thriving in every way possible.
As parents we love...
- The Teachers – they are all smart, intellectual, caring and clearly love what they do. Many of them play their parts on the sports field too, where they continue to demonstrate their enthusiasm. Their humour and individuality shines through and leads to a wonderful, as well as respectful, relationship between teaching staff and pupils. They are fantastic role models.
- Excellent learning environment – nothing beats driving into Kingham Hill School and thinking this is the best possible place for my daughter to spend her day. The stunning and idyllic location of the school in the middle of the beautiful Cotswold countryside makes for a healthy lifestyle and balances out the stress of teenage life. It is a calm and safe space with a very homely feel and most importantly, no mobile phones during the school day (they hand these in at registration and collect them at the end of the day!)
- Variety and magnitude of opportunities – both curricular and extra-curricular with a very inclusive approach to all activities. Everything from music, drama, musical theatre, Christian Union, Orchestras, Trinity Arts Awards, sports (hockey, rugby, netball, football, swimming, badminton, tennis, cricket etc) to CCF (Combined Cadet Force), Karting and Duke of Edinburgh. Trips away include outward bound residential’s, ski trips and sports tours.
As pupils we love...
- The tutors, teachers and house parents are friendly, helpful and they make us laugh lots. They make learning fun and take good care of us!
- Sport – so many different sports – hockey, netball, rugby, badminton, swimming and many more. Lots of fixtures too. As long as you work hard in sports lessons, you are rewarded with a place on the school team.
- Extra curriculum activities – so many fun things to get involved with. Ski trips, residentials with lots of fun, outdoor activities, junior and strings Orchestra, musical theatre and choir. House socials – going out to dinner, trampolining and hanging out with friends.
What makes us different
Kingham Hill School is in the heart of the glorious Cotswold countryside, just 80 minutes from London Paddington, in a 100 acre estate where pupils have a safe place to explore and make their home. With just over 330 pupils Kingham Hill remains small to allow the school to sustain its caring, home-from-home community.
Highly qualified, specialist staff offer a broad and challenging curriculum (27+ courses at A level) to ensure every pupil has opportunities to learn, excel and realise their potential. Top class facilities, including a £4m Maths and Science building and a new £3m library, ensuring pupils have the best amenities for learning. Small class sizes deliver a bespoke learning experience that can be tailored to individual needs to help discover the talent in every child.