Don’t let your kids make you feel old this summer – here’s our handy guide to understanding the latest teenage slang that will have you lol’ing!
WARNING: This will almost undoubtedly not make you ‘cool’, but at least you’ll know what on earth they’re talking about!
Commonly used words and phrases:
- Awks – awkward
- Bae – before anyone else – usually describing a boyfriend or girlfriend, also short for baby
- Bruh – short for bro or brother, can refer to a friend
- Cheddar – money
- Curve – to reject someone romantically
- Gucci – good/fine/okay
- Hench – strong and muscular
- High key – as in this is major and they’re happy for everyone to know “I high key love School Notices!”
- Hundo p – as in 100% positive confirmation
- Lit – amazing
- Low key – as in they don’t want everyone to know, i.e. “I’m low key stressing”
- Netflix and chill – beware – this is usually a front for inviting someone over to make out!
- Peak – bad/gutting/humiliating
- Peng – cool/good, can also refer to someone good looking
- Salty – bitter, as in “I’m totally salty that I didn’t get invited to the party”
- Sic – something that’s cool
- Squad– group of girl friends
- Thirsty – someone that’s attention seeking
- Throw shade – giving a dirty look
- Ting – thing
- BFF – best friends forever
- CTN – can’t talk now – see POS!
- GOAT – greatest of all time
- LOL – laugh out loud (although the more mature amongst us might still view this as lots of love – awks!)
- OMG – oh my god!
- POS – parent over shoulder (used to warn friends when a parent can see their phone)
- TFW – that feeling when – as in “TFW you realise you poured orange juice over your cereal instead of milk”
- YOLO – you only live once
Feeling exhausted after reading this?! Then why not enter our latest competition to win a holiday at the famous Marbella Club Hotel – and ahhhh!