Following the UK governments decision to add Portugal to the Amber list, many people are wondering about their travel plans this summer. Is it still possible? Is Portugal a safe destination despite the decision? SandyBlue, the Algarve villa rental specialists, are here to answer some of your questions
Am I still allowed to travel to Portugal on holiday?
Adult guests travelling from any part of the UK who provide proof of being fully vaccinated 14 days prior to their arrival date are exempt from quarantine.
- Fully vaccinated adults will be able to travel without having to quarantine on arrival
- Unvaccinated children under the age of 18 will not have to quarantine on arrival, so long as they are accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent, guardian or responsible adult. More information here
- British tourists who are not fully vaccinated will have to quarantine at their accommodation for 14 days on arrival or for the duration of their stay if visiting for less than 14 days
- Tourists who need to quarantine are asked to register on this form: Click here to view form
- All tourists are required to fill out a ‘Passenger Locator Card’: Click here for the Passenger Locator Card
Your luxury villa will be fully prepared should you need to spend the entirety of your holiday there. Our guest experience team will be on hand to provide everything you need for a fantastic stay, including information on in-villa services. This includes a food delivery service, so you can have all the essentials delivered to your door.
What does fully vaccinated mean?
In the travel context, you should be considered as ‘fully vaccinated’ after:
- having received the second dose in a 2-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for the entire EU (including where two doses of different COVID-19 vaccines have been administered according to national vaccination strategies)
- having received a ‘single-dose’ COVID-19 vaccine approved for the entire EU
For UK guests, to obtain proof of vaccination, please follow this link: Proof of vaccination
I have been vaccinated, but it has not been 14 days since my second dose. Will I need to quarantine?
Currently, any person who has not passed their 14 days pre-vaccination will still be required to quarantine for the duration of their stay or up to 14 days.
Will I need to take a test before travelling to Portugal?
The situation with testing is still being clarified but we suggest you follow the testing regime of having a negative COVID-19 test for all passengers over the age of 12. The test can be:
- PCR within the 72 hours before your flight departure time
- Antigen (rapid flow) test within the 48 hours before your flight departure time
You must show your test certificate before you board your flight to Portugal. Your airline is likely to deny boarding if you cannot show this at check-in. Check with your airline before you travel.
Will I still have the same experience?
Yes! All beaches, restaurants and bars are open and we have many guests here already enjoying our piece of paradise. If you are quarantining at your luxury villa, our guest experience team will be on hand to ensure you still make the most out of your time in the Algarve.
Are airlines still running their flights?
Yes. The majority of airlines are still running flights from across Europe. Some schedules have changed and in fact, prices have come down on certain routes.
I’m worried about the inconvenience of testing
There are many testing providers now offering convenient ‘packs’ with prices for testing decreasing. All of this can be done from the comfort of your home or villa before you fly back. There are also many ‘walk-through’ testing centres here in the resort and airport. Our guest experience team can help organise anything you need.
Minors, up to the age of 12, are not required to take a test coming into Portugal.
What’s the weather like there now?
Summer is here and the sun will continue to shine in the Algarve. Don’t just take our word for it, jump on a flight and come and see for yourself!
Three of our favourite villas that are still available to rent this Summer:
The Lodge | Sleeps 14 | 7 bedrooms | 7 bathrooms
“It’s time to experience pure luxury at The Lodge in Quinta do Lago. With 7 bedrooms, The Lodge can sleep up to 14 guests and has so many standout features. Highlights include the cinema room, two game rooms and of course the poolside area. Set in a great location, with short drives to the beach, golf course and local amenities.”
Villa Dolce Vita | Sleeps 12 | 6 bedrooms | 6 bathrooms
“This luxurious villa experience in Quinta do Lago is perfect for a large group looking for luxury fun in the Algarve sun. With great features like the heated pool, TV rooms, games room and contemporary furniture, this really is a stand out property.”
Villa Luna | Sleeps 10 | 4 bedrooms | 4 bathrooms
“This superb 4 bedroom villa is in Dunas Douradas, with fabulous décor, comfort and sea views. With a large, sunny poolside terrace, entertainment room and games room, there is plenty to do. Just a short stroll to the beach, south-facing Villa Luna really is the perfect spot to bask in the sunshine and live the good life.”